List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: [DIGLIB] People Counters / Patron Counters (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2004-05-18 16:14:19

Sender: Gerard Mittelstaedt <mittelst@mcallen.lib.tx.us>
Subject: Re: [DIGLIB] People Counters / Patron Counters

Hi,

RE:  People Counters - Gate counters.

  I've always maintained that wear and tear on the
carpet at library entrances was a good indication
of how busy we were. (insert smile here)
 - yes we have an electronic eye type "people counter"
and our security system gate has a counter.
Its absolutely amazing how the numbers differ.
 - yes I know that people sometimes hold the gate
for the next person, and sometimes the electronic eye
sees 2 people as one, and sometimes for very tall
people it sees 2 legs, but on the whole from year
to year, when using the same device one gets a good
relative number, and a gross figure for a solid estimate
of traffic.

Gerard Mittelstaedt        mittelst@mcallen.lib.tx.us
McAllen Memorial Library   http://www.mcallen.lib.tx.us
McAllen, TX 78501