List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Name Tags - further musings (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2002-12-26 19:27:40

Sender: "John" <jrichmond@alphapark.org>
Subject: Name Tags - further musings

As I consider this ever-popular question, and my own *brilliant* comments, it occurs \
to me that it's kind-of odd that librarians, who are willing to die for the \
confidentiality of everyone and everything, are willing to parade around with their \
names plastered across their front sides (maybe some wear their badges/tags on their \
back sides...it's an interesting mental picture)...thereby eliminating a certain \
amount of confidentiality in regard to their very selves.
Also, when I was a municipal librarian, one of the arguments from city hall was that \
IF we wore our name tags, and IF a patron/customer had a complaint, he or she could \
identify the evil city employee by name, and that person could then be reprimanded, \
beheaded, or whatever.  However, in my experience--experience, of course, not being \
the proof of all things--unhappy patrons, when asked if they knew which staff member \
had offended them, usually said, "It was the short one with the brown hair."  Oh.  \
Well, which short one with the brown hair?  "You know, the one that works at the \
front desk."  Oh.  Which short one with the brown hair who works at the front desk?  \
"Well, I don't know know her name, but someone should do something about her."  \
(Note: I am not being sexist.  The people who worked at the front desk, i.e., the \
circ desk--using the circ desk as the example in this instance--were all *hers*.)  \
Naturally, the short one with the brown hair was wearing her name tag...but the \
patron didn't know her name.
Sigh.  In thirty years, if there still are librarians and libraries, and publib, \
people will be posting questions about name tags.
John Richmond
Off-duty Library Director
Bartonville, IL
..crazy enough to be reading and posting from home...