List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: DVD formats (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2002-12-26 19:27:00

Sender: Whitewright Public Library <wwpl@texoma.net>
Subject: Re: DVD formats

Susan Moreland wrote:
>Lately, more DVDs are available in either the full screen or the
>widescreen format.  (For a while, it seemed that more DVDs were available
>in widescreen only).  A lot of our patrons prefer the full screen version
>of movies because they don't like the black bars at the top and the bottom
>of the screen.

I used to work for the local cable TV company, and I can't tell you how
many calls we got about the movies shown in widescreen format (mostly on
AMC and TCM). Many viewers are absolutely convinced that widescreen (aka
letterboxed) is cutting off part of their picture with the black bars, when
in fact the opposite is true. Pan and scan (aka full screen) actually cuts
off the picture wherever an editor feels it's necessary to smoosh the
rectangular movie picture into a square TV.

There's a good comparison over at
<http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020925/> showing the
difference between widescreen and full screen version of Attack of the
Clones. There's also explanations of why there's a difference between TVs
and movie screen size (theater screens were once not as rectangular, which
is why TVs are square). I've used similar web pages before to explain to
those who didn't understand why there's a difference.

Most of our patrons want widescreen format, because they have home theaters
which support the format much better than the average TV. We have some pan
and scan copies, plus a few titles that carry both versions on one disc,
but we primarily purchase widescreen editions.

In my personal opinion, purchasing full screen is a step backwards for
DVDs, but for the black bar phobic, many DVD players offer a way to "fake"
a pan and scan image to fill the screen. If the player has a "zoom"
function, you can often turn it on to 2x and it will either completely fill
the screen or leave only tiny black bars at the top and bottom, depending
on what ratio the widescreen edition is in. The only issue with doing it
this way is you don't have the human editor choosing which section of the
screen to focus on, so if the widescreen image shows two people on opposite
sides of the screen, in the zoomed version you may see an empty screen but
hear the characters talking.

Chris Ely

Whitewright Public Library
Whitewright, Texas