List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: 9/11 service thoughts (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2002-08-30 21:32:32

Sender: Anne Christensen <anne.christensen@phxlib.org>
Subject: Re: 9/11 service thoughts

I think the public needs to know is that we are here for *them*

When tragedy struck, we were ready to do our job immediately. A diverse
collection was on hand to answer questions promptly and accurately.
Libraries were willing to use any and all tools we had to give information
and advise on comforting reading.

Many libraries took information access to a new level by providing
temporary television-viewing space for the homeless who would otherwise
have no other venue to pay witness to the events of the day.  Some of us
were able to provide a calm public forum where the public was free to
question and learn about the causes and possible effects of the tragedy.

As always, our trained staff was ready to answer any and all questions
related to the events and cultures involved without passing judgement.

In other words, just as the firefighters and police did their jobs
throughout the attack, recovery, and grieving, so did we.  And, like our
brothers and sisters in service, we will continue to do so.

Anne Christensen
Librarian II
Phoenix Public Library
achriste@lib.ci.phoenix.az.us