List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] re: sick time policy (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2002-08-29 20:56:24

Sender: "Diedre Conkling" <dconklin@OregonVOS.net>
Subject: re: sick time policy

I would rather have a policy that combines sick leave and vacation time but
we don't have such a policy yet.  Unfortunately, the main reason we don't
have such a policy is because I haven't written it and presented it to the
Board.  I hate it when I am the problem.

We are very lenient in the interpretation of our policies with final
interpretation left up to me (or the director) in most cases.  If someone
was needing time to stay with someone in critical condition we would do
everything we reasonably could to accommodate them.  No one wants to cause
more problems for someone when they are already in a very difficult
position.   Who wants to loose a good employee just because they have hit a
rough patch in their lives.  Of course, there are limitations on what can be
done.  Part of my personal philosophy is that we write strict guidelines so
that we have support in the rare instances that someone wants to or
habitually tries to take negative advantage of the system and it would cause
harm to other staff and the work we do.  These policies are that fall-back
position.

Anyway, this is our sick leave policy:

1.  Notification of Inability to work.  Employees who are unable to report
to work due to personal or dependent illness or injury must contact the
immediate supervisor on or before scheduled starting time.  If an employee
becomes sick during the day, the supervisor of designee must be notified
before the employee leaves work.  When sick leave is taken to care for a
dependent the District expects that other care arrangements will be made as
soon as possible.

2.  Accrual.  In order to minimize the economic hardships that may result
from an unexpected short-term personal or dependent illness or injury, the
District provides regular full-time employees with eight (8) hours of
accumulated sick leave per month.  A part-time employee will receive sick
leave on a prorated basis.

Unused sick leave benefits accumulate from year to year.  Employees are not
paid for unused sick leave upon employment termination.

3.  Transfer of Sick Leave/  Employees who have exhausted their sick and
vacaton leave benefits may receive a gift of sick leave from other District
employees if they require extended time off for illness or injury.  In such
event the District's only involvement shall be to transfer an employee's
sick leave credit in accordance with the employee's request and add it to
the sick leave balance of another employee.  Employees may donate up to 10%
of their accrued sick leave balance.  Only employees who have accumulated
more than 240 hours may make a contribution, and no employee may contribute
more than 40 hours per year to other employees.

4.  A leave of absence with pay for up to five (5) days may be granted an
employee when a death in the employee's immediate family requires the
absense of an employee.  Should circumstances require an employee to be
absent longer than the five (5) days, the days in excess may be charged
against accumulated sick leave.  Immediate family means the immediate family
of the employee or of the spouse, and is intended to include parents,
children, grandparents, stepchildren, siblings and members of the employee's
household.

"Immediate family" is defined as a member of the employee's hourshold,
dependent of the employee, brother, sister, grandparents, father-in-law,
mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt and uncle, niece, nephew,
grandchildren and parent of the employee or the employee's spouse or
domestic partner.

Diedre Conkling

   Lincoln County Library District
   P.O. Box 2027, Newport, OR  97365