List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Rockwell's Column (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2002-08-29 16:08:20

Sender: Gerry Vogel <ads_gerry@DAYTON.LIB.OH.US>
Subject: Rockwell's Column

>Do away with all of our arguements about the necessity of libraries, >the valuable place they
>hold in society, our jobs, etc., and what do you have left?

>No books for me to read!  How could I possibly, even if I still had a >job of some kind, buy all
>the books that I would ever want to read!

Beth is so right.  I once had a little debate with some "I'm gonna take
my ball and go home" libertarian who argued that libraries are toast
cause:  1) the innerneh and 2) he had always been able to afford to buy
all the books he needed.  My view is that NOBODY can afford ALL the
books they want or need.  Life is pretty pointless without new ideas to
educate thyself about or entertain thyself with.

And the innerneh is pretty cool, too but it doesn't work quite like the
computer on Star Trek yet.

People need books (or databases, videos, sewing samplers, etc.) and
people need help finding them.  I think we are going to be needed for
quite a while yet.

** my views, and not necessarily those of my library **

"No more slogans!" (John Paulos)

Gerry Vogel, Assistant Manager, Adult Services Division
Dayton Metro Library
215 E. Third St., Dayton OH 45402
tel:937-227-9559, fax: 937-227-9528 cel: 937-414-0115
www.dayton.lib.oh.us