List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] What Do You/Would You Do? (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2001-10-30 16:38:31

Sender: Nann Blaine Hilyard <nhilyard@lvdl.org>
Subject: What Do You/Would You Do?

Do you allow patrons to pick up holds for other patrons?  More specifically,
do you allow a husband or wife to pick up a book that's on hold for the
spouse?  Or a parent for a child?

Does the patron have to have the hold notice in hand?  Or the library card
for the person in whose name the item is on hold?

Privacy protection vs. patron convenience seems to be the issue here.
("Mom, the library has that book I need for my report.  Can you get it for
me?"  "The library is yet another stop on my route today and you won't let
me get the book that came in for my wife?")

Thanks for your ideas.

Nann Blaine Hilyard
Lake Villa District Library
In Northern Illinois