List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: Internet sign-ups (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2001-03-31 11:40:44

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:38:44 -0800 (PST)
From: sandy nozick <sbnozick@hotmail.com>
To: plib2@webjunction.org
Subject: [PUBLIB] Re: Internet sign-ups

This message was submitted by "sandy nozick" to list publib@webjunction.org. If you \
forward it back to the list, it will be distributed without the paragraphs above the \
                dashed line. You may edit the
Subject: line and the text of the message before forwarding it back. If you edit the \
messages you receive into a digest, you will need to remove these paragraphs and the \
dashed line before mailing the result to the list. Finally, if you need more \
information from the author of this message, you should be able to do so by simply \
                replying to this note. ----------------------- Message requiring your \
                approval
---------------------- Sender: "sandy nozick" Subject: Re: Internet sign-ups

Marika,

I have a thought on showing a driver's license or picture ID:  I just came back from \
a 4000-mile trip over spring break and wanted to use the Internet to send my father \
e-mail on our whereabouts and welfare.  Most public libraries were gracious and \
accomodating.  Two, however, requested the above ID.  I ask you, what advantage does \
a city (I'll call it LA), a place with 4 million countable people, have knowing my \
first and last names when I live 1500 miles away?  Furthermore, that same library had \
people of easily a half-dozen different nationalities, most from places where their \
citizens do not trust the government.  How inviting is it to be asked to provide ID \
to a government (library) official?

The reality is, whenever our patrons have been asked about a machine malfunction, \
they deny it, claiming it was like that when they sat down.  We had a guy print his \
resume on that vinyl-like overhead projector film and it melted onto our printer, \
causing $250 in damage and loss of printer for 2 weeks.  Not only did we have his \
name, but his address, ph number, last employer, etc.; yet our administrators would \
not charge him for the damage.  So if we cannot or will not hold anyone responsible, \
let's just ask people their first names, welcome them to use our Internet stations, \
and be done with it.

Sandy Nozick, Reference Librarian, Weld Lib District, Greeley CO

> I have noticed a few comments regarding internet sign-in procedures at public \
> libraries. My local
library requires a valid drivers license and/or a current picture i.d. The rationale \
behind that requirement is that if the patron damages something, then they at least \
have a name. Any thoughts? marika ai0598@wayne.edu