List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Coping with Budget Cuts: Don't Punish Your Patrons! (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2000-06-29 22:00:01

Sender: "James B. Casey" <jimcasey@lib.oak-lawn.il.us>
Subject: Coping with Budget Cuts: Don't Punish Your Patrons!

As a stragegy for coping with budget cuts, Susan Hagloch
recommended eliminating Sunday hours or other services
which are visible and useful to the public so that they can
"feel the pain" convey that sentiment to "city hall".

While Susan's approach is accepted by some other libraries,
my own is categorically different.   If you cut Sunday hours
and services which the public wants the most, they will see
through that "punish the patron" ploy and you will lose many
of your most loyal and appreciative supporters.  What is
more, the most important advocates you have are often
your patrons --- those who make regular use of the Library.
If they stop coming to your library and go elsewhere for
their library service needs, supportiveness will be quickly
replaced by indifference and dissapointment.   The next time
you want to run a levy or pass a bond issue, the votes you
had counted upon might no longer be available.

Use the tried and true formula of providing the best
possible service with the resources available and you will
be fine.   Take your own arguments and concerns to city
hall, but don't punish the patrons you are pledged to serve.

In handling budget cuts, my own strategy is to meet with
department heads and lay out the situation as specifically
as possible.  "We are short by $150,000 and need to cut
expenses by that amount no later than October 1st.  These
are my suggestions for cuts.  What do you think and why
do you agree or disagree?  Do you have any counter
proposals?"   We look at matters objectively and try, as
best we can, to not refill vacant positions but to re-deploy
existing staff to cover essential services.  Layoffs are a
last resort.  When they become necessary, many factors
may come under consideration ---- not just seniority.
Services which are not visible to patrons, such as cataloging
and payroll, are nevertheless essential and basic.  Some
areas simply cannot be cut without closing the doors.

There will inevitably be a loss of service capability resulting
in cuts.  Sometimes it is wise to conduct a survey so that
the patrons can be asked to check off those services which
they want the most.   Just the mere act of doing that can
often spur some public protest at city hall.  As long as the
patrons know that you are doing your best to give them
the best service with resources at hand, support will come.

James B. Casey --- My own views as a public librarian
and ALA Council Member (1996 -2000).