List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] email reference (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2000-04-28 21:20:29

Sender: "Peter Bromberg" <peter@camden.lib.nj.us>
Subject: email reference

Hi Nan,  Here's mah 2 cents for what it's worth (guess it's worth 2 cents!),

-We're doing it.  See http://www.camden.lib.nj.us/askin.htm

>If so, can you provide details and comment about its
>effectiveness and any problems you have encountered?

- So far, no problems.  The overwhelming majority of questions are ones that
we would consider traditional reference questions.  We do not require a
library card, just as we do not require a library card for in person or
over-the-phone questions (equal service!)  Initially, we received requests
for book renewals and some library policy questions.   We answered the
policy questions when we could, referred them to other departments when
appropriate.  We also included more information on the "Ask a Librarian"
page that would help direct patrons to the Information Desk (holds, ILL)
when appropriate.

>Concern #1:	we'll get the reference equivalent of junk mail from kids
>and other mischievous folk who don't live in our state, let alone our
district.

-We haven't gotten junk mail.   The few questions that we get from outside
of our service area have had to do with requests for obituaries from the
local paper.  Part of our departmental mission is to serve all who have need
of our unique resources, so we consider this an acceptable reference
question.  We will fax or send the obit if we have it, or refer the patron
to the Historical Society if they need something that is older than what is
available in our collection.

>Concern #2:	the limitation of not having a reference interview.

- A well-designed question form can go a long way toward recreating the
reference interview.  Of course, nothing can replace a real-time interview,
but the majority of our questions do not need further refinement.   Our
answers go out with the closing line: "Please let us know if this does not
completely answer your question", which serves as the follow-up question.

>Concern #3:	general quality control.
>	If the answer is a fact ("the current exchange rate of the franc,"
>"the population of Chicago in 1897"), that's easy to provide by e-mail.
>But many reference questions get more complicated than that.   Do we have
disclaimers setting the limits of what we'll answer?

-We have the same limits on email reference as we do on other forms.  I do
not believe that there is anything intrinsic to email reference that
requires more limitations.  If the question is unclear, you can email and/or
call to obtain more clarity.  If an answer is provided, but is wrong because
the question was not understood, including a line such as, "Please let us
know if this does not completely answer your question", will encourage the
patron to email back (or call) with a clarified request.

>What about liability if we misunderstand the question and give the wrong
>answer?  (More disclaimers?)

-What about the liability of misunderstanding any question?  Red Herring.

>Concern #4:	learning to use the library
>	Library instruction is part of in-person reference.  We've talked
>about this on PubLib before -- it's easier to have all the answers to the
>6th grade assignment in a folder at the reference desk, but what the kids
>learn is that if they push the button, the librarian will produce the
>answer. They don't learn any self-sufficiency.  Is this good or bad when
>it's a busy executive?  (Special libraries are expected to provide the
>answers; is that the course for public libraries?)

-This was discussed as part of our strategic planning process.  While there
is an undeniable value to teaching a person to fish (you feed them for a
life), we decided that it is not our mission to teach them to fish if they
don't want to learn.  (Or as I said, "If they want you to give them the
fish, just give 'em the damn fish")  Mileage may differ in an academic
library.

>Concern #5:	priority
>	The "tyranny of urgency" is a phrase I learned from time management
>courses -- that phone call comes, you answer it, and responding to the call
>takes precedence over your carefully prioritized to-do list; a staff member
>asks a question and you take time to deal with it right then.  How do you
>fit e-mail reference service into the queue with in-person and telephone
>queries?  More disclaimers, this time about turn-around time?

- We treat it no differently.  We have a VERY busy desk.  If we can answer a
question (email, fax, phone, in-person) within 5 minutes, we do so.  If not,
it is written up as an extended reference question.  We treat all questions
with equal urgency (barring any deadlines from patrons).   Good reference
triage is always performed.   The route the question took to get to us is
not a factor.

Hope this helps :-)

Peter Bromberg, Head of Reference
Camden County Library, Voorhees, NJ
peter@camden.lib.nj.us
http://www.camden.lib.nj.us
856-772-1636 x-3314
fax 856-772-6128

"Out beyond ideas of right or wrong there is a field.  I will meet you
there." -Rumi