List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: Cyber Patrol (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       2000-04-27 20:12:51

Sender: Brian Smith <bsmith@linc.lib.il.us>
Subject: Re: Cyber Patrol

At 01:41 PM 4/26/00 -0700, Christine Lind Hage wrote:

>On the other hand I support the right of parents and libraries to purchase
>and use filtering products based on their personal situation or local
>conditions.  The caveat is that buyers have to be aware they are buying an
>imperfect product that cannot provide 100% appropriate blocking or access to
>100% of the good stuff on the Web.  From that point on it is parental or
>library choice as to filter or not to filter and to select the product that
>best meets their needs.

Another caveat is that the right of a public library to use a filtering
product ends where such use violates the free-speech rights of website
authors and library users.  A library which chooses to filter in an
unconstitutional manner does not have the right to do so.

Brian Smith
Assistant Head of Adult Services
Villa Park (IL) Public Library
http://www.villapark.lib.il.us/
bsmith@linc.lib.il.us
.. But writing only on my own behalf
"It's all about the guy sitting behind the desk."
-- Johnny Carson