List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] RE: [Core Values and Dr. Laura] (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       1999-12-29 22:18:59

Sender: Don Sager <dsager@highsmith.com>
Subject: RE: [Core Values and Dr. Laura]

This is in response to Nann Blaine Hilyard's question about Dr. Laura's
interest in the draft ALA Core Values statement. The task force did post
the draft on the web (www.wwa.com/~dsager/core.htm) and we did ask for
comments from ALA members, chapters, units, affiliates and library-related
organizations. We did not post this on Dr. Laura's website. Someone who
obviously monitors the ALA discussion lists must have picked it up and
forwarded it to Dr. Laura. And yes, we have received some e-mail from her
readers: 38 letters since Christmas. A majority are critical of the
statement because of the intellectual freedom component. However, 15 of the
38 messages are very supportive of the statement, and of library service in
general. To put this into perspective, however, you should know that the
percentage of all the messages we have received. A far higher number of ALA
members, librarians, and trustees have responded to our request for comment
as a result of other postings (including PubLib). We have received many
suggestions and comments, but I am pleased to report that the vast majority
of the respondents are in support of the draft statement. The Task Force
continues to welcome further comments and suggestions. Best wishes on the
New Year!
Don Sager, Chair, ALA Core Values Task Force