List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: PUBLIB digest 1099 (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       1999-12-27 9:34:56

Sender: Patricia Latham <lathampa@oplin.lib.oh.us>
Subject: Re: PUBLIB digest 1099

I'm not sure this will be of any interest to you, but it may help.  We
don't have a special genre for "romance fiction."  We do, however, put the
series title in the record, and it is searchable (if you use OCLC, you put
it in the 440 or 490).  So, if you read one of Marion Chesney's titles in
"A House for the Season" (my personal favorite!), and you want to read
more of them, you can look up that title, and it will tell you all the
other titles in that series.

We do have genre fiction (mystery, western, science fiction, fantasy,
short stories), but, like you, were unable to figure out what the criteria
for a romance would be.  Therefore, we use the series note to help out, &
we put a heart sticker on the spine of books that we consider romance.
The reference people sometimes put the sticker on the spine when we miss
one - there's no reference to it in the online catalog, so if it's there,
fine; if we miss it, or it falls off, oh, well.

Not a perfect solution, but it helps somewhat!

Patty Latham
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library