List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB] Re: Children and Confidentiality (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       1999-05-31 18:35:29

Sender: S M Colowick <smc@seanet.com>
Subject: Re: Children and Confidentiality

David Burt <dburt@afo.net> wrote:
>I have to say I find this reason pretty lame. I've never  heard of a
>single case of a child being saved from harm because the child's parent
>wasn't allowed to see what the child had checked out from the library.
>You'd think with tens of millions of children checking out hundreds of
>millions of books, you'd have heard of one, just one case.

I can see the headline: "Thanks to vigilant librarian, child avoids
retaliation by abusive parent!" If no one knows what the child checked out,
then how would such a story ever come to light? And how often does non-news
make the papers? Here's another story you won't see: "Teen avoids
pregnancy, thanks to unfiltered Web site!"

Susan M. Colowick
1104 E. Guiberson St.
Kent, WA 98031-6056
253-852-1414