List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:11055] Teen's Letter About Porn in The Library (fwd)
From:       plib2 () webjunction ! org (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-04-30 19:50:59

Sender: "Mike Charton, Parsippany Public Lib" <CHARTON@main.morris.org>
Subject: Teen's Letter About Porn in The Library

	I feel bad that these kids showed her the pictures.  Controlling
the Internet isn't the problem here.  There are questions that need to be
asked.
1.  What is the library's policy about the Internet?  Once we put in a sign up
sheet and limited it to a half hour & two at a time, problems were eliminated.
Now the worst we get is the World Wide Wrestling Website & the Spice Girls.
With Netscape, you can also check the history of the sites searched.  Once we
told the kids that, no more problems.  The one kid we had pulling up
pornographic sites, no longer comes in.

2.  Which leads me to this question.  Did the young lady tell the library staff
what had happened?  I'm sure, the staff would want to know.

3.  Is it always the same group of kids?  She makes it sound like all of
Brunswick, Ohio is going down the drain.

	Filtering the Internet isn't going to solve this.  While there is a
certain attraction to the Internet, who's to say the same kids, would not have
brought Hustler in the library and cheerfully shown it off?
	Don't filter the net.  Deal with the specific problem.

Mike
Mike Charton
Parsippany Public Library