List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:10080] Librowse and Netscape 5 source code (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-03-31 23:15:00

Sender: Jeff Bobicki <bobicki@amigo.net>
Subject: Librowse and Netscape 5 source code

Hi again ... It's just me

We felt it paramount to release Librowse prior to the frenzy sure to follow
the release of Netscape Source Code. Which we did.

We are convinced that the development of Librowse which utilized the
Netscape Development Kit, Visual Basic, C++, Java, Digital Signing Tools
and several other technologies is a very significant project and it will
take considerable effort to even come close.

Release of this code by Netscape happened today. Whether anyone can make
use of the 3 Million lines of Monolythic C code that Netscape has created
is the question. I believe it will be a very difficult task indeed. I look
at this as a PR for Netscape and a nightmare for developers.

And yes ... I am going to sleep very well tonight knowing Librowse works
just fine without Netscape source code.

If you are interested ... I got these developer sites mailed to me:

http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/communicator/future/index.html

http://www.mozilla.org

http://developer.netscape.com/source/index_frame.html?content=cd.html

Regards !! Jeff Bobicki

Technical Consultant Southwest Regional Library System

Librowse Home Page:   http://home.amigo.net/bobicki/library3.html