List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:10064] Discussing Non-Fiction in Book Groups (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-03-31 23:13:18

Sender: Sherri McCarthy <smccarth@mcls.rochester.lib.ny.us>
Subject: Discussing Non-Fiction in Book Groups

I am the leader of various public library book discussion groups.  My
preference and my experience are in leading discussions of fiction.  I
would like to ask those experienced in leading NON-FICTION book
discussions:  do you have special approaches to discussing non-fiction?
(This would include biographies, autobiographies, and history books --
and what other kinds?)  Are there kinds of nonfiction that work well for
discussions and some kinds that are not suited to discussion?  Do you
have any special tips for stimulating good discussions of nonfiction?
Are there any pitfalls to doing nonfiction?  Thanks for any input you
can give me.

Sherri McCarthy
Penfield Public Library
smccarth@mcls.rochester.lib.ny.us