List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:10059] Re: debit cards to pay for computer printouts (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-03-31 23:12:04

Sender: "James B. Casey" <jimcasey@lib.oak-lawn.il.us>
Subject: Re: debit cards to pay for computer printouts

The honor system has worked here in Oak Lawn.  We bought metal, locked
boxes at about $20 each and cut a slit on the top for coins/bills.  These
boxes
are placed near the printers. A financial assistant collects the money one
or two
times per week and counts up the proceeds.  We charge $.05 per copy for
computer printer and $.25 each for microform reader printer copies.

We have one "honor box" for both of our reader printers.  The cost to put
card
debit or coin ops on each reader printer would have been $1,100.  That is
$2,200
in copies (8,800 copies) which you would have to make at $.25 each before
breaking even.

Coin ops and debit card devices are EXPENSIVE gadgets which can
break down and effectively shut down your computer printer and/or reader
printer, malfunction and cause complaints at service desks (and wasting of
valuable staff time), and also require costly service visits.  I suspect
that such
devices NEVER pay for themselves and thus render cost recovery impossible.

The honor system is usually rejected out of the belief that most patrons are

dishonest.  Some patrons are dishonest.  Some patrons won't pay.  Others
will
pay more than they need to.  Some patrons will even put in anonymous
donations.  In the long run, buying expensive and troublesome devices to
make
sure that patrons pay "up front" for copies will destroy any chance you
might
have to achieve what library administrators are looking for -- genuine cost
recovery.

James B. Casey -- My own views as a public library administrator.