List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:10020] RE: PC Security (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-03-30 19:18:33

Sender: "Allen C. Benson" <acbenson@cris.com>
Subject: RE: PC Security

>From: Mary Pauli <marycp@lincc.lib.or.us>
>To: publib <publib@sunsite.berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: Info on Fortres, IKiosk, etc.

>My library will be upgrading our terminals to PC's soon, and will need
>some kind of lockout on the PC's, running Windows 95, to prevent
>unauthorized access to the Windows files and the system files. We will
>also have a new WinNT based CD-ROM LAN, and expect to have web access
for
>patrons soon from the PC's.

Hi Mary--

You might want to check out an article I wrote for Computers in
Libraries "Building a Secure Library System" (March 1988).   You can
also access this particular issue online (full text) at Information
Today's Web site http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/ciltop.htm

Here is a listing of access control systems for PCs along with their Web
addresses:

Centurion Guard from Centurion Technologies -
http://www.centuriontech.com
FoolProof from SmartStuff Software - http://www.smartstuff.com
Fortres 101 from Fortres Grand Corporation - http://www.fortres.com
Full Armor products from Micah Development Corporation -
http://www.fullarmor.com/
Full Control from Bardon Data Systems - http://www.bardon.com
GateWAY from Adafinn Software, Inc. - http://www.acay.com.au/~nickw/
Norman Access Control from Norman Data Defense Systems, Inc. -
http://www.norman.com/
Safetynet=92s StopLight PC - http://www.safe.net
PC Security from Tropical Software - http://www.tropsoft.com
WinLock from Boxware Inc. - http://www.boxwareinc.com
WINSelect KIOSK from Hyper Technologies, Inc. - http://www.hypertec.com/

Winshield from Kent-Marsh Ltd. - http://www.kentmarsh.com/

Most offer basic security features, such as locking access to files,
executibles, DOS, Start|Run, etc.  They can help you keep your desktop
looking consistent from day-to-day, too.

Hyper Technologies' WINSelect KIOSK is a little different.  It enables
you to disable or gray out menu items (much like a resource editor
does).  Centurion Guard offers an interesting hardware solution that
electronically write protects your hard drive.  It isn't the perfect
solution for everyone, but many libraries are using it successfully.

You mentioned you were going to start supporting Web browsers, too.  The
better anti-virus suites now include filters that block hostile ActiveX
and Java along with scanning for viruses while downloading files that
are zipped up.  McAfee's VirusScan Secuirty Suite has been getting good
reviews with its WebScanX which not only blocks hostile ActiveX and
Java, but it also maintains a library of hostile Internet sites.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Allen C. Benson
acbenson@cris.com