List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:4993] Re: Observation about filtering (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1997-08-29 22:57:45

Sender: "Jennifer Cram, Manager Library Services" <jcram@qednsl.qld.gov.au>
Subject: Re: Observation about filtering

Hear Hear, Karen!

I characterise this as being your own "counter-measure team" a term
borrowed from the military  - ie when you design a service, project etc,
you ask, "Now how can this go wrong? What do we have to do proactively
to minimise the risk of that happening?" and redesign accordingly,
before you start. This is the reason, for example, that our Acceptable
Usage Guidelines include a prohibition against having your work email
address listed as part of your personal entry in the White Pages phone
book. It wasn't a possibility way back when we wrote the policy, it
still isn't (ok, things have moved more slowly than we expected), but we
are covered.

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Karen G. Schneider wrote:

> to observe that some of our colleagues have separated our profession into
> "pro-filterers" and "anti-filterers," but I think a more useful distinction
> is between people who are intentional about the issue of content on the
> Internet and those who are not.
>
> If there is one thing I have learned from a year and a half managing a
> traditional library and six years military management prior to that, it is,
> to quote Robert Frost,  to "be sure to sell your horse before it
> dies"--that is, for every scenario, have a plan.  Be political, think
> ahead, think on your feet, think all the time.  My primary  objective,
> driving quite a few decisions and ancillary goals, is to minimize
> interference from "out there" so I can get my work done.
>
> Libraries--and I speak from street experience--exhibit the snowflake
> syndrome more than any other organizational environment I can think of;
> that is, no two are alike.  Every situation is different, every response is
> different.  What's right in your community is something you know best.
>
> However, as I pulled together case studies, snippets of information, sage
> advice, tales of woe and success stories for one chapter (To Filter or Not
> To Filter) (perhaps subtitled, "A source of indigestion?"), it struck me
> that there were two types of responses: proactive and reactive.  The
> proactive approach was to decide, ahead of time, whether to filter or not
> to filter; to put the policy in place; to develop an intentional strategy;
> to train staff; to implement a plan, to have contingency plans lined up.
As Per US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,Subchapter II 227
Unsolicited [JUNK MAIL] commercial advertising is NOT Welcome here
Jennifer Cram
Manager, Library Services, Education Queensland
P O Box 33, BRISBANE ALBERT STREET  Q  4002  Australia
email jcram@qednsl.qld.gov.au    homepage: http://www.alia.org.au/~jcram
phone + 61 7 3237 0975		 fax   + 61 7 3237 1108
QUEENSLAND DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION VIRTUAL LIBRARY:
http://cooroomba.client.uq.edu.au
Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed  in this email are
those of the author only and do not represent the official view of any
organisation.