List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:4991] DDC 21 Cataloging (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1997-08-29 22:56:11

Sender: Dave Swarthout <daves@xyz.net>
Subject: DDC 21 Cataloging

I'm new to the list and so don't know if this is the best place to ask
for cataloging help but hope that one of you might be able to point me
to a listserv or person out there in cyberspace who might be willing to
supply some guidance in the use of the DDC in cataloging some of our
Alaskana collection.

WE are trying to recatalog the portions of our collection affected by
the major changes in the DDC version 21 vs version 20. I know many
libraries out there are not going to make these changes due to lack of
staffing for what, in a larger library, will be a formidable task but we
wish to do it. We have the staff and enough interest to do it for our
small (30,000 volume) collection.

Do any of you know where one might look on the Internet for:
a) libraries with a WWW interface who have made the DDC 21 revisions
already
b) help pages expressly for DDC 21 issues (aside from the excellent one
at OCLC)
c) a listserv dedicated to cataloging issues
d) an individual who might be willing to corresspond via email on those
issues

Thanks for any help you might supply,

Dave Swarthout            email daves@xyz.net
Homer Public Library      (907) 235-3180 days
Homer, AK 99603           (907) 235-4390 eves