List:       publib
Subject:    [PUBLIB:4969] Re: Library Cards for the Homeless (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1997-08-29 15:14:09

Sender: Ellen Bell <ebell@leo.vsla.edu>
Subject: Re: Library Cards for the Homeless

Annette Kovic asked:
> How do your libraries handle homeless patrons who want a library card?

We have a shelter for battered women around the corner from
us.  Our circ staff know the box number.  We also have some
rules, based on large losses in the past:

1)	Applicants for library cards must show 2 pieces of ID,
one with the applicant's picture, one with the current address.
(Someone who cannot comply with the second part can still get a
card -- just not that day.)

2)	Applicants who have family members already in our
database and listing the same address are entitled to a library
card on the spot providing the family member's card lists no
problems.

3)	All other applicants are given a postcard to address to
themselves.  The postcard says that, on receipt of the card,
the addressee is to return to the library within three months,
with ID, to pick up the library card.

4)	Applicants who have ID with current address may check
out two items the day they apply.

5)	They must bring the postcard back, with ID, to claim
their library cards.  (If they claim the postcard arrived but
they forgot to bring it, we send them another postcard.)

6)	Circ staff know the box number of the shelter.  They
will not issue a card until the person has another, verifiable
address because experience has shown that shelter residents
have a tendency to take our materials with them and notices
addressed to them are not forwarded by the post office.

We feel that shelter residents are welcome to use materials in
the library.  We will even ILL for them, but mark the items for
in-house use only.  Until they have a more permanent address
(they are only permitted to stay in the shelter for 30 days),
we feel we must safeguard the public's property.

As I say, these rules are based on a long history of losing
many materials to first time borrowers.  Although we want to be
helpful, we see no point in being foolish!
--
O:-D
Ellen Bell, Blue Ridge Regional Library