List:       publib
Subject:    Cataloguing Authorities and Classical Music (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1997-04-30 20:17:03

Sender: kpl@golden.net
Subject: Cataloguing Authorities and Classical Music

RE: Language in corporate names and uniform title added entries,
particularly for classical music sound recordings.

Situation:  We are a medium-sized public library.  Our database does not
include authority control or the ability to cross-reference.  Also, we index
a limited number of MARC fields, e.g., only the 520 field in the note area.

Problem:  If we, or our outsourcing agency, follow the rules and list
corporate names and uniform titles in the language of the country of origin
our customers must know a variety of languages in order to find what they're
looking for.  This is a particular problem when it comes to Slavic
languages, which we don't expect the majority of our customers to know.

Question: How do other public libraries in a similar situation handle this
problem?  Does anyone use the MARC fields in the 76x, 9xx areas?  Do you
simply index more note fields?  We are looking for creative suggestions for
dealing with this problem.

Cheryl Kaar
Kitchener Public Library