List:       publib
Subject:    Interesting Article (fwd)
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1997-03-28 18:39:55

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:55:35 -0800
From: James B. Casey <jimcasey@lib.oak-lawn.il.us>

School libraries -- of which there are many more than public libraries
-- should provide after school study possibilities and supervision.
(In Oak Lawn, school libraries outnumber public library 18 to 1.)
Since school libraries close promptly at 3:30 PM or 4 PM on weekday
afternoons during their 9 month year, kids from dozens of schools remain
at loose ends until their parents come home from work or must crowd into
the public libraries to overwhelm the one or two public librarians who
are scheduled to work to 9 PM.  The latchkey problem poses a major
opportunity for libraries to promote library use and to enhance library
literacy.  BUT the schools must finally exert themselves to keep school
libraries open and give the public libraries a hand.  If the school
libraries do nothing after 4 PM to support library service to kids, the
public libraries have to do everything.

As for the parents, they are working long hours (both spouses) to
earn the money to pay their taxes and thus to pay our salaries.
They aren't asking us to "babysit" but to give them a hand and
provide decent hours of library service so those among their kids
who want to use a library can do so rather than just be forced to
go home to watch TV, play volley ball, wander the streets, join gangs,
or flock to the already overcrowded public libraries.

There are kids who would use the school library after class or on
late afternoons if given the chance.  If school library doors and
services are locked away, that chance to learn and grow is cut off.

James B. Casey - My views as a public librarian and member of ALA
Council.