List:       publib
Subject:    Adult Reading Programs, Book Clubs (fwd)
From:       TRAYNOR () midyork ! lib ! ny ! us
Date:       1996-06-28 0:07:23

Sender: TRAYNOR@midyork.lib.ny.us
Subject: RE: Adult Reading Programs, Book Clubs (fwd)

We just established book groups at our two small libraries.  I did some
publicity ahead of time and held a planning meeting.  A very useful tool
was "The Reading Group Handbook" by Rachel Jacobsohn.  At our planning
meetings, participants discussed what their reading interests were and we
picked selections.  One group was able to decide on a whole years worth of
reading material, the other plans a few months in advance.  We looked at
recommended reading lists from "The Reading Group Handbook", participants
recommended selections, we picked authors from a very popular lecture series
offered each fall by the Friends of the Onondaga County Public Library.

The groups are doing very well.  Both are small (5-9people) but attendance
is regular and people seem to look forward to it.

Karen Traynor
Sullivan Free Library
519 McDonnell St
Chittenango, NY 13037