List:       publib
Subject:    Library card registration (fwd)
From:       Oak Lawn Public Library <jimcasey () CLASS ! ORG>
Date:       1996-04-29 19:54:28

Sender: Oak Lawn Public Library <jimcasey@CLASS.ORG>
Subject: Re: Library card registration

In the rural county library where I was director, we took the patrons ID
when they filled out the application for a library card, but did not ask
for references.  On the other hand, the newly registered patron could not
check out books immediately.  We mailed the card to their home address on
the same day and once the patron received the card, they could come back
and begin checking out books.  The mailing of the card was, in effect, a
verification that the address had to be correct or it would not arrive.

Another way to verify patron information was to check the "criss-cross"
directory to see if the phone number and address corresponded.  We also
occasionally called the patron's own number to verify that they did apply
for the card.  Your local community probably has a "Polk City Directory" and
possibly a "criss-cross".  These proved to be handy at a Circulation Desk
for verifications.

Good Luck!

James B. Casey -- These are my own views as a public library administrator.