List:       publib
Subject:    Book Returns: Soapbox (fwd)
From:       Oak Lawn Public Library <jimcasey () CLASS ! ORG>
Date:       1996-04-26 21:05:58

Sender: Oak Lawn Public Library <jimcasey@CLASS.ORG>
Subject: Re: Book Returns: Soapbox

I tend to agree with Leila Shapiro and find that my own observations
regarding book and video drops correspond with her assessment of patron
convenience issues.  The primary value of a public library collection is
the practical use to which it can be put by your clientele.  While due
precautions should be taken to guard against the possibility of arson and
the occasional milkshake or snowball dropped down the slot, the
convenience seems to be well worth the risk.  If book drops encourage
busy and concientious patrons to return books on time, that can also save
a good bit of frustration in terms of dealing with fines and overdues.

James B. Casey -- These are my own views as a public library administrator.