List:       publib
Subject:    Public Libraries and Virtual Libraries (fwd)
From:       alonk () actcom ! co ! il (Alon Klamkin)
Date:       1995-11-29 19:32:52

Sender: alonk@actcom.co.il (Alon Klamkin)
Subject: Re: Public Libraries and Virtual Libraries

In the ring of the Internet, two different traditions may find themselves
opposed to each other, and not necessarily complimenting one another.

On the one hand, public libraries, and particularly American public libraries
have long upheld the tradition of freedom of information for free.  Open
to all, they offer something for everyone.  Generously supported by public
funds, the profit motive plays little role, if any, in their dayly operations.
They have always been a means of getting around copyright laws.  Why buy a
book, if I can borrow it from my library?

Therefore, the attitudes expressed by librarians regarding the Internet,
on the screens of the Publib and elsewhere, are not surprising: Information
must be open to all and free to all:  alas the librarian's dream can come
true: not just something for everyone, but everything for everyone....
the Virtual Library.

On the other hand, flickering colored lights on screens have always been
very tempting to commercial interests.  Movies, in Hollywood at least, were
and are for making money, not necessarily art.  T.V. was and is an even more
convenient and effective means of making commercial money. Selling Sprite
and Levis is the main point, and not making arty or too clever programs.

The Internet is of course very tempting for them. "It's on a screen, ain't
it?" Millions of kiddies (who just love coke, jeans etc.) are out there
glued to their computer screens, just waiting for a pitch. Huge investments
are needed in infrastructure and programming, open for people like AT&T and
Time-Warner eager to reap their profits. Are the Karens, Sues, and Leilas
of the Publib really serious opponents for them?  Can copyright be avoided
on the Internet? Why should anyone be expected to create data bases without
being paid for their work and talent, by the users of these data-bases?

Public money, while suitable for the libraries, probably is not the answer
for the Internet.  From the analogy of TV, in countries where the government
set up one or two stations, and maintained them with tax money, the results
were far from desireable.  Service and variety were very limited, and even
the so-called quality suffered from lack of competition.

At best, I feel we information providers may be able to ride piggy-back
on the Internet together with commercial interests, or am I being naive?

There once was a lady from Eiger
Who went for a ride on a tiger....

Alan Klamkin                         All I.M.O.H.O.
Ashkelon Public Library
Ashkelon, Israel