List:       publib
Subject:    site for posts responding to Lester (fwd)
From:       kgs () intac ! com (Karen G !  Schneider)
Date:       1994-11-26 15:50:43

Sender: kgs@intac.com (Karen G. Schneider)
Subject: site for posts responding to Lester

Many good responses to Dan Lester's recent post about post offices and
libraries have been posted to PACS-L, fyi.

I spake my usual, but after hearing Helms and Gingrich these past two days,
I also wonder to what extent people know think it's o.k. to have two
different qualities of information--human-mediated for the "haves,"
machine-generated for the "have-nots."  It also may not be important, for
the Helms and Gingriches of this world, to ensure that people understand
what we provide them; in fact--it might be more important to make sure they
do *not.*

These are mean times, and we need advocates in our government and
professional organizations who will beat the drum for our role as
information advocates.  In its search to locate an agency best qualified to
provide information serrvices, he government instead chose to select an
organization that is not trained and equipped to do so.  Why is that?   Who
made that decision?  Why were libraries overlooked?  What can we do to make
sure it doesn't happen again?  These are questions we need to answer.

To the (vvery small) extent I agree with Dan, it is that librarians need to
be proactive.  That means, however, that not only should we whine, but we
should be shouting and screaming.   The post-office issue is an opportunity
for us to wake up before it's too late.

Karen G. Schneider     Blue Highways Internet Services   Serving New Jersey
email kgs@intac.com    URL http://www.intac.com/~kgs/homehome.html