List:       pthreads-devel
Subject:    Re: [pthreads-devel] 2 Problems
From:       Marco Lohse <mlohse () cs ! uni-sb ! de>
Date:       2001-11-05 15:16:11

Saurabh Desai wrote:

> Marco,
>
> The compilation errors are coming due to the "disable-kernel-patch" flag,
> do not use this flag.  If you don't apply the kernel patch, your
> application
> will run in M:1 mode and that's what the Warning is all about.
>
> Thanks,
> - - - - -
> Saurabh Desai
> POSIX Threading for Linux
> IBM  Linux Technology Center
> e-mail: sdesai@us.ibm.com OR sdesai@austin.ibm.com
> phone: 512-838-2655, T/L: 678-2655
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/pthreads

Ok, I just thought I should use this option because I do not have the
kernel patch installed, but then I somehow misunderstood the
instructions in the INSTALL ( as I can see from an other mail I am not
the only one to do so ... )
  --disable-kernel-patch: disable use of 2.4 kernel patch(default=no)
      This disables NGPT from making use of the 2.4 kernel patches that
      are part of the distribution.  If you have not installed the
kernel
      patch, rebuilt and are running the patched kernel, you should
select
      this option.

My next question: I used ./configure without any options, and - as I
said - I do not have the kernel patch applied. Now I tested a simple
application with 2 threads, each with some for-loops which increment the
same integer guarded by a mutex. I get something like:

> time ./simple
NGPT WARNING: required kernel patch not applied.
              Only userlevel threading enabled.
2.420u 1.130s 0:03.56 99.7%     0+0k 0+0io 148pf+0w

Using the standard Linux pthreads I get:
0.230u 0.420s 0:00.77 84.4%     0+0k 0+0io 145pf+0w

Can I improve the performance with the kernel patch? Are there any other
options for configure I should try? I can send you the test program if
you want.

Thanks,
Marco.