List:       psad-discuss
Subject:    Re: [psad-discuss] Danger level confusion
From:       Michael Rash <mbr () cipherdyne ! org>
Date:       2013-11-09 18:51:20

On Nov 08, 2013, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> i am trying to test packet count ability of psad with danger level and
> setup danger level in "psad.conf" like this.
>
> (i change the DL values for my testing only)
>
> DANGER_LEVEL1               2;
> DANGER_LEVEL2               4;
> DANGER_LEVEL3               6;
> DANGER_LEVEL4               8;
> DANGER_LEVEL5               10;
>
> AUTO_IDS_DANGER_LEVEL       3;
>
> as per above setting if a packet count reach "6" of any signature it should
> be blocked (please correct me if i am wrong)

By default, all psad signatures assign a danger level of 2 according to
the "psad_dl" field within each signature. Here is an example (note the
psad_dl field at the end):

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 17300 (msg:"PSAD-CUSTOM Kuang2 virus \
communication attempt"; flags:S; \
reference:url,isc.sans.org/port_details.php?port=17300; classtype:trojan-activity; \
psad_id:100206; psad_dl:2;)

So, if you want psad to take a blocking action based on a signature
match, then you either need to change the danger level in the
signatures themselves to match your AUTO_IDS_DANGER_LEVEL setting, or
just reduce this setting to 2.

> i am using "WEB-PHP Setup.php access Attack" as describe in a book.
> everything is working  on-order "packet-counter", signature detection by
> snort and psad etc.
>
> but one thing i can not understand is a purpose of packet count and how
> psad make decision on packet count from the attack.

psad danger levels are influenced by several things - not just raw
packet counts.  That is, auto_dl settings can play a role, the range of
ports scanned influences this (see the PORT_RANGE_SCAN_THRESHOLD
variable), signatures set the danger level independently of packet
counts, etc.

> by default "WEB-PHP Setup.php access Attack" has a DL2.
>
> from host i am trying to generate the attack packet by packet. with blow
> command
> "lynx http://10.x.x.22/Setup.php"
>

> attack is detected on firewall wil below log, which is good sign
> psad: src: 10.51.100.17 signature match: "WEB-PHP Setup.php access" (sid:
> 2281) tcp port: 80 fwsnort chain: FWSNORT_INPUT_ESTAB rule: 7363
>
> As per my setting shared above from my psad.conf, which means when packet
> count reach to "6" block the host. however it is not happening

Per the above, I think you need to reduce your AUTO_IDS_DANGER_LEVEL
setting to match that of the signature itself (psad_dl:2).

--Mike