List:       psad-discuss
Subject:    Re: [psad-discuss] Stil the same problem.
From:       Albert Whale <aewhale () ABS-CompTech ! com>
Date:       2005-11-29 16:17:52

Johannes P wrote:

>> What OS are you running this on?
>>
> Dosnt that show? How many OS have "/var/run"? If u mean linux flavour
> it's Linux From Scratch.
> I checked the psad.conf and it looks like i just had to change all the
> files pointing to "/var/run/psad/filename" to "/var/run/filename". All
> works like it should now i think even after reboot. =D
> // Johannes

Actually, I've installed this on various Linux Boxes (OS Versions, and
Types).

Linux from scratch is cool, but it is without the standards that Vendor
driven packages have.  Therefore, while most Linux have /var/run to
indicate packages that they have started, the generic does not have this
tree.  (though it is a Good standard to adopt).

While I applaud your efforts to get a generic Linux running, the round
peg in a square hole dilemma comes to mind.  What will you do when you
want other OpenSource Packages to run on an environment without
standards?  Sure it's an Oxymoron, Image, Linux having standards, but
necessarily it does.

While I certainly understand the benefits of not conforming to
standards, these startup issues are bound to recur.  Just keep you eyes
open.

Good Luck.

--
Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Sr. Security, Network, Risk Assessment and Systems Consultant