List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] mod_sftp slowness - how can I track this down
From:       "TJ Saunders" <tj () castaglia ! org>
Date:       2021-03-04 4:02:36

> > Just browsing directories. I send a few follow ups that
> > indicate that the fsio module (or it's interaction with RedHat
> > 8) may be the issue. I'll look into that more today.
>
> OK, tracked down the issue. The interaction with the local
> password file is just *very* slow. Reducing it to a single entry
> (from about 600) makes my problem go away. This will allow me to
> mitigate the issue on the upgraded production system. I'll look
> at the code a bit to see what changed and if I can make sense of
> it.

When last I looked into this, with a user, we found that it's related to some libc \
change; see:

  https://github.com/proftpd/proftpd/issues/1134

The "fixes" are to either a) use a SQL database (even SQLite) instead of the \
plaintext AuthUserFile, or b) manually change the ProFTPD config.h settings (as \
discussed in the above ticket).

I'm not sure why the buffer sizes in libc, for these functions, was changed.

Hope this helps,
TJ