List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] User profited
From:       Anton Luka =?UTF-8?Q?=C5=A0ijanec?= <anton () sijanec ! eu>
Date:       2020-10-20 19:52:11

Hi!

> What kind of shel should I use so that I don't have access to the
> system?
>
> Shell (sh csh tcsh bash rbash nologin) [sh]:

Normally /bin/false or /usr/sbin/nologin is used for this case.

I assume you'd enter false or nologin in this case where the whole path
is not required.

But I think anything from /bin/echo, /bin/date and other harmless
binaries can be used.

When creating the user, you can use the command
# useradd -r username

The -r flag means that the user will be a system user, those users are
created for purposes such as yours and can't login.

Regards, A.