List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] Msg /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
From:       Stephen Dowdy <sdowdy () ucar ! edu>
Date:       2019-08-07 21:11:03

On 8/7/19 1:56 PM, Paul Merlo wrote:
> Tried method 2,   Tell me:  After which statement do I place the statement set ff=unix
>
> Or, if that is not meant to be a statement inside the configure script, then how do I set \
> ff=unix when I am invoking the configure script ?

the example:

  vim configure
> set ff=unix
> wq

was meant as:

run 'vim' on your configure file
inside vim, enter command mode (hit <ESCAPE>) and issue the command ':set ff=unix' (change \
file-format to unix) then issue the command ':wq' (write and quit).

You could do this on the command line with:

vim -c 'set ff=unix | wq!' configure

e.g.:

$ file configure
configure: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
$ vim -c 'set ff=unix | wq!' configure
$ file configure
configure: ASCII text

now, it's a UNIX format file.

but, if you're doing it from the command line, and don't have 'dos2unix' (normall in a package \
name like dos2unix or dosutils or such), then you might as well do:

     sed -i -e 's/\r//' configure

Though sometimes/often DOS file formats include an EOF (End Of File) marker of '<CTRL>-Z', and \
this command won't remove that.

--stephen

--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy@ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/