List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    [Proftpd-user] MD5 passwords in MySQL
From:       Rodti MacLeary <rodti () macleary ! com>
Date:       2009-01-20 16:42:17

Hi everyone,

I've been running ProFTP quite happily on my Debian server for some time,
but now want to tidy up the various usernames and passwords being used
around the system.  I've thought of merging my mailserver and ftp
username/password tables in MySQL, but unfortunately my mail users
passwords all use MD5 and I can't get ProFTP to read these.

I currently have proftpd 1.3.1 installed.  I've read that mod_sql needs to
be specially compiled to support OpenSSL but I don't know where to get the
source for mod_sql, and am unsure of the options I'd need to configure it
with.

Furthermore it appears that on top of configuring the SQLAuthTypes to
support OpenSSL my hashed passwords would have to be prefixed with {md5}.
I'm a little worried that prefixed a shared password field with that would
then break my mailserver's authentication.

If anyone here has experience of getting this working I'd be grateful for
any tips.  Alternatively if there are any workarounds (for example using
ENCRYPT in MySQL instead of MD5) that might work, I'd be happy to consider
these if it's easier.

Many thanks in advance!

Rodti