List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] Editing config of ProFTPd 1.2.9 on Snap Server?
From:       "Thomas L. Shinnick" <tshinnic () io ! com>
Date:       2007-12-11 18:41:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

At 10:45 AM 12/11/2007, Leutnant Steiner wrote:
> hi !
>
> with ServerIdent off  , version number could be suppressed.
>

> <http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_ServerIdent.html>http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_ServerIdent.html \
>

> cu

You can play with both  ServerIdent  as noted and also
with  ServerName .  I have these comments in my config:
   # This is the FTP server's name.  Default would be 'ProFTPD' seen
   #   in %V and possibly in defaulted ServerIdent string
   # We specify this to obscure the FTP server software product and version.
   #   (yes, of dubious utility but commonly done and requested by security)

   ServerName        "Budgie FTP server"

   # This is the message displayed when a new connection begins.
   # When not used the default is something like:
   #     220 ProFTPD 1.3.0 Server (Budgie FTP server) [192.168.233.25]
   # and when present but 'off' then "myhost.localdomain FTP server ready"
   # We specify this so that even the host name won't be displayed by us.
   #   (even more dubious but also requested by security)

   ServerIdent       on  "Budgie FTP server ready."
This gets me
     220 Budgie FTP server ready.

As for figuring out _which_ file is the default configuration looked
at by ProFTPD, you might be able to ask ProFTPD:
     /usr/sbin/proftpd -V
If that option isn't supported in your release, you could always
'cheat' and peek into the executable:
     strings -n 5 /usr/sbin/proftpd | grep -i conf