List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] Bad behavior by FTP client results in "SIZE not
From:       "Thomas L. Shinnick" <tshinnic () io ! com>
Date:       2007-09-26 8:25:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

At 01:49 AM 9/26/2007, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:
> >   226 Transfer complete
> >   ftp> quote size README.MIRRORS
> >   ---> size README.MIRRORS
> >   550 SIZE not allowed in ASCII mode
> > Note that the client switches to ASCII mode to receive the output
> > from DIR, but does not reverse that.
>  And that's good, otherwise you end up with windows-like behaviour like
>  this:
>  TYPE A
>  LIST
>  TYPE I
>  TYPE A
>  LIST
>  TYPE I
>  TYPE A
>  LIST
>
>  I see no need to reverse the mode until you're doing something that needs
>'TYPE I',

But, of course, that is really the point.  The client _did_ reverse
the mode, which had been set by user request using a plain old BINARY
command.  So it is really more surprising that it doesn't undo what
it just did, so as to put things back the way the user wanted them.

It is true that another sequence of commands to try would be
     binary
     dir
     get foo
and see whether/that the client program does a "TYPE I" at that point.

>for example running SIZE, but, since you did that with QUOTE, the
>client had no way of knowing that you need the mode reversed.

And the user had no way of knowing the client was diddling the mode
behind the scenes ... :-)