List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] DNS resolution failure on boot (dynamic DNS)
From:       Patrick Muldoon <doon () inoc ! net>
Date:       2006-08-10 2:03:23

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 21:47, Misha Aizatulin wrote:
> > Yes, I've tested it from outside of our network.  I've tested it from
> > Firefox (on Linux).  I've checked the proftpd logs to validate that it's
> > using passive transfers.  What else can I tell you?  My server, without
> > MasqueradeAddress, works fine for thousands of clients using a multitude
> > of weird and wonderful browsers and FTP clients.
>
>   do you know how? I mean MasqueradeAddress is there for a reason and if
> you don't need it while actually being masqueraded then there is
> something special about your configuration. I think the creator of
> proftpd is the person to ask, what his purpose for MasqueradeAddress was.

My guess as to how, is that he is using a firewall that rewrites the ftp
transactions going through it as part of the NAT rules.  IIRC something along
the lines of fixup ftp in a Pix will do this.  The masqueradeAddress is only
needed if what ever is doing the NAT has no knowledge of the protocol's that
are passing through it, or at least I think that is it.

-Patrick