List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [proftpd] Re: [Proftpd-user] HiddenStor, REST, and downloading
From:       Allen Firstenberg <proftpd () addventure ! com>
Date:       2006-05-30 16:54:18

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:50:02AM -0700, TJ Saunders wrote:

> > I am considering changing the code so that REST would be allowed
> > if HiddenStor is set, but that AllowStoreRestart would be forced to
> > FALSE (even if set true) as part of the xfer_pre_stor() function and
> > the error message would be handled that way.
>
> I would advise against this; "magically" changing a configuration
> parameter behind the administrator's back, in this way, only leads to more
> confusion.

I've changed my thoughts on this slightly.  Instead of changing the value,
I'd just check HiddenStor at the same time and in the same way it checks
AllowStoreRestart.  So the parameter won't be changed, but if HiddenStor
is on, it will generate the same error (using the same check) as if
AllowStoreRestart is off.

> > This would allow REST then RETR (which seems to be an allowed function,
> > both in the protocol and the code), but not allow REST than STOR.
>
> Is the current handling causing so much of a problem for you to require
> this functionality?  If so, why is it causing such a problem?  Most FTP
> clients, upon receiving a failure response code for the REST command, can
> simply issue their RETR/STOR commands without assuming a restarted
> transfer...

In this case, it is, yes.  I have a client who is not using REST/STOR,
but is using REST/RETR and claims that their client will not fall back
to fetching the whole thing.  For other operational reasons, I have
HiddenStor on.  Thus my dilema.

Thanks for your response and your thoughts.
Allen