List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] FTPS problems on a dual-homed ProFTPD server
From:       Jens Schleusener <Jens.Schleusener () t-systems-sfr ! com>
Date:       2006-05-05 8:45:28

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Jens Schleusener wrote:

> On Thu, 4 May 2006, TJ Saunders wrote:
>

> > > So probably the VirtualHost configuration is the wrong idea or must be
> > > done more sophisticated.
> > >
> > > Can someone bring in the right direction or has even an example configuration?
> >
> > See:
> >
> >   http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/contrib/ProFTPD-mini-HOWTO-NAT.html
> >
> > Particular the last question in the FAQ section there.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
>
> Thanks, reading that page before would have saved me some time :-(
>
> Principally it describes my last solution and it doesn't solve directly my
> problem that FTPS isn't working for internal accesses. But testing in that
> context brings me "in the right direction". First after disabling forcing
> FTPS on the client program I got login problems using internal accesses.
> To solve that problem I had to transfer some directives like
> "AuthUserFile" and "AuthGroupFile" in the <Global> section, but after that
> only "standard" FTP works. Then I tried accordingly to put also my current
> "TLS" regarding lines
>
>  <IfModule mod_tls.c>
>    TLSEngine on
>    TLSLog                        /var/log/proftpd_tls.log
>    TLSProtocol                   SSLv23
>    TLSOptions                    NoCertRequest
>    TLSRequired                   off
>    TLSVerifyClient               off
>    TLSTimeoutHandshake           60
>    TLSRSACertificateFile         /usr/local/etc/ftpcert/host.cert
>    TLSRSACertificateKeyFile      /usr/local/etc/ftpcert/host.key
>  </IfModule>
>
> in the <Global> section but starting ProFTPd I got the error
>
>  Fatal: TLSProtocol: directive not allowed in <Global> context on line 198
>  of '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
>
> Hmm, on the documentation page
>
>  http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_TLSProtocol.html
>
> as "Context" is mentioned also <Global>:
>
>  server config, <Global>, <VirtualHost>, <Anonymous>, <Limit>, .ftpaccess
>
> Nevertheless I removed (commented) the "TLSProtocol" directive and now
> internal and external FTPS requests seem to work.
>
> May the removing of "TLSProtocol" directive habe some negative side
> effects?

Ok, I found on (hmm, seems to be the "official" mod_tls documentation?)

 http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/modules/mod_tls.html#TLSProtocol

as allowed "Context" only "Context: server config" with the comment

 Since the protocol version used by mod_tls is set only once, when the daemon
 starts, the TLSProtocol directive is only allowed in the "server config"
 context.

Greetings

Jens

--
Dr. Jens Schleusener            T-Systems Solutions for Research GmbH
Tel: +49 551 709-2493           Bunsenstr.10