List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] Can't stop proftpd.
From:       Sven Hoexter <sven () timegate ! de>
Date:       2005-01-10 18:55:30

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 08:49:41AM -0600, Johnson, Matt (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm attempting to setup proftpd on my Suse 9 box.  I've got it all made \
> and installed.  I can log in via anonymous logon.  I've created the inet.d script \
> proftpd.  I had to make a couple of modifications to the path and functions \
> location, but otherwise, its the same one that is shipped in the distribution.
> The problem I'm having now, though, is that I can't gracefully stop it.  I try my \
> inet.d script "proftpd stop", and it doesn't give me any output at all.  So I ran a \
> ps -A to see if it killed the server.  Nope... still running happily.  I've tried \
> running the commands the stop script does manually, and I get no icky output, but \
> it doesn't stop the application either.
> So right now, the way I've been stopping it is by finding the PID and killing it.  \
> Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening?  Any solutions?

aehm are you talking about "init.d" or about some kind of (x)inetd?
I guess you're talking about "init.d" but I'm not sure. Those init.d scripts
are simple shell scripts so it's worth a try to start it with
bash -x /etc/init.d/proftpd stop
so that you can see excatly what it's doing and where it might fail.

HTH
Sven

oh and please wrap your lines at about 78 chars.

--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world