List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    [Proftpd-user] uid/gid confusion
From:       Bryan Koschmann - GKT <gktnews () gktech ! net>
Date:       2004-12-29 23:15:08

Hello,

I've been working on getting proftpd setup to authenticate from mysql. I
have gotten this to work with 1 user, but not the second.

In the howtos I've read, it says you shouldn't used a duplicate UID for a
user. However, the only way I can get a user to login is using the same
UID of the proftpd system user.

So, how are the UID/GID supposed to be set?
What should the permissions be on /home/ftphome/* ? Right now they are set
to be owned by proftpd/nobody.

Now, I also have some theoretical questions:

Say I have a user that logs into /home/ftphome/joeuser. This is owned by
the proftpd system user. Now, what if that user wants to ssh in to edit
his files? Is this possible? If so, how?

Is it possible to have 1 user with access to 3 different directories
(sites)? Without removing chroot? How can this be done?

I've read all the howtos numerous times, and I'm not seeing anything that
would give me a hint. I would really appreciate any help. I would welcome
and example configurations that I can look at as well. I'm not looking for
someone to hold my hand through this, I just need some pointers in the
right direction (aside from the existing howtos anyway).

Thanks in advance!

	Bryan