List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    [Proftpd-user] proftpd with mod_sql and md5 shadow migration
From:       "J.M. Roth" <lists-proftp () roth ! lu>
Date:       2003-02-28 13:29:34

Hi all,
I would like to migrate a proftp server from PAM to MySQL
PAM currently authenticates via passwd/shadow
Passwords in /etc/shadow look like this: $1$xxx$yyy
I'd like to use MD5 passwords in MySQL, if possible.
Now, how can I migrate?

I thought $1$xxx$yyy was created as follows:
the password is encrypted using crypt() with salt xxx
then the md5 of crypt(xxx) is taken and put to where I wrote yyy
I tried this manually and it did not succeed.

From what I see it should be of the form {md5}.....==
I don't manage to get a MD5 hash to look like that, not even using
mimencode.

Another possibility would be to log the passwords via tcpdump and recreate
the MD5 hash manually, but I'd leave that as a last resort.

Any tips?
Regards
-jm