List:       proftpd-devel
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-devel] ftpquota and ftpasswd conversion from Perl
From:       TJ Saunders <tj () castaglia ! org>
Date:       2018-10-17 20:40:34

> I am working on a project that would like to use ftpquota and
> ftpasswd.  However, Perl is not allowed on the project by the Security
> team.  I am curious if ProFTP is open to accepting versions of
> ftpquota and ftpasswd written in either shell or c.

Yes, certainly.  Or Go, or Python, etc.  The only requirement (well, desire really) \
is that new versions of those tools be able to keep the same on-disk format of the \
quota data.

> Before committing to converting the tools or advising the project to take
> another path, I want to know if I will be maintaining them locally for
> the life of the project when ProFTP updates or if they will actually
> be able to be upstreamed and included as part of ProFTP.

I'd recommend starting with a separate repo on e.g. GitHub, for your version of the \
tools.  Then, the community can decide whether they like your versions better -- if \
so, we can look into incorporating them into the main project.  (This is much the \
same process as done for ProFTPD modules, for example.)

Hope this helps,
TJ