List:       proftpd-devel
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-devel] MQ Series module for ProFTPD
From:       dhall () virage ! org (d !  hall)
Date:       2003-03-14 18:05:15

TJ Saunders <tj@castaglia.org> writes:

> My understanding is that it's the other way around: if the proprietary
> code uses GPL'd data structures, then the GPL applies.  That's why the
> GPL is considered a viral license.

You will not be writing proprietary code.  Has anyone here had any
experience in writing MQ based programs?

You're given a library, and certain function calls, similiar to Oracle's
API.  It's like saying the fact that you use

#include <string.h>

char *strcpy(char*, char *)

But do not have access to the C library, makes your program non-GPL
compliant.  You're not changing MQ code.  You're using MQ API's to enhance
your program.  If IBM down the road wants to use a FTP server that includes
MQ calls, any changes they make to this module must hench forth be released
for public consumption, as per the GPL license.

GPL can NOT travel back in time, and UP the food chain towards predecessor
code.  It's not that good, or technically enforcable.