List:       proftpd-devel
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-devel] [OT] socket_wrappers
From:       Steve G <linux_4ever () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-09-03 23:21:55

Hello,

The copy I announced is only IPv4 capable. The
development version is almost protocol independent. I
still have 1 or two more days work on it before I
start an alpha test. The current goal is to not make
tcp_wrappers be the thing that causes vendors to ship
a IPv4 and an IPv6 version of any application. For
example, Redhat ships an xinetd & an xinetd6. xinetd
2.3.8 will be totally protocol independent when its
released in the next couple days...except if you want
tcp_wrappers.

Wietse is watching my changes and I want him on-board
so there's no fracture in the unix community.
socket_wrappers will only be published until he
accepts the changes or independently re-creates the
protocol independence. He has reviewed development
versions and I've incorporated his suggestions. I
believe there will be a tcp_wrappers 7.7 sometime in
the future when socket_wrappers has been proven safe.

An additional goal of the project is to make
tcp_wrappers thread safe and C++ safe. Wietse doesn't
seem to care about these issues, but I do. It has only
taken a couple changes to achieve this. I may save the
final changes for a subsequent release.

So, when I release the socket_wrappers 7.6b copy
sometime soon, it will handle both IPv4 & IPv6 in the
same library (libwrap.a). :)

-Steve Grubb