List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: OOOPS - A bazillion processes
From:       "Ruud H.G. van Tol" <rvtol () isolution ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-18 20:21:25

Toen wij fleet@teachout.org kietelden, kwam er dit uit:
> Ruud H.G. van Tol:

>> The + means: 1 or more of the preceding. The preceding
>> is .* [...]

> Ok, so I put the recipe into some sort of endless loop until some buffer
> was filled, the[n] did the same thing with the next message, and the
next,
> and the next, etc.  Until my memory was pretty much used up. Is this
> pretty close to what happened?

Something like that. I didn't check the procmail-sources. I think it has
been mentioned on the list before. .*+ just isn't a proper regular
expression (it includes "1 or more of nothing" which it can find an
unlimited number of times).

> PS:  I thought you guys liked your responses up top.  Oh well, I like
> this way better - and that's what I'll stick with.

OK, thanks. I often skip messages by top-posters, because they are more
than often not that interesting. The same goes for bad quoting. I like
mailing-lists best when they are like the good newsgroups.

--
Grtz, Ruud