List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: more ideas for distribution list reqd please
From:       "Ruud H.G. van Tol" <rvtol () isolution ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-31 8:08:58

Toen ik JM Fraser kietelde, kwam er dit uit:

> In the first instance "domain3.ac.uk" has got ")" added to it at this
> end, it was a simple typing error.

That means that you are not informing us in a respectful way. Never type,
use copy-and-paste.

> Secondly, thanks for the very fresh remarks Ruud, but I had in fact done
> quite a lot of debugging before I posted to this group and your
> comments do not exactly endear users to come here looking for advice. I
> took the time to thoroughly replicate everything that I did here in the
> hope that someone could point out an error. I did not expect the slap
> in the fact I have just got from you.

You are just not showing enough information for anybody to help you.
Come up with better info.

Put a VERBOSE=on and a LOGFILE=$HOME/pm.log at the very start of
your test-rc (yes: test-rc), and use Sean's sandbox (see his webpage,
find it in his sig) to test your setup.

> There is no error as so far as I can determine in any of my recipes it
> is just that procmail ignores the ones which I have quoted.

That almost always means that there ARE errors in your recipes.

> Save from me
> printing my entire log, and ALL of my recipes, I thought that I would
> just quote some examples here.

You never have to print your entire log. If you are not able to extract
from the logs what would enable us to help you, put the logs and the
recipes
on a temporary webpage and ask on the list if somebody would be so kind as
to look at it. But that is not the right way to do it, even if it is a way
to do it. It's beter to learn in smaller steps, if you can spare the time.
Stop wasting our time by sending in no info at all.

And always reply on the list. Stop leaving long tails of old messages,
everybody has already seen that text.

[again many lines snipped]

--
Affijn, Ruud