List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: TERM: Undefined variable.
From:       "David W. Tamkin" <dattier () panix ! com>
Date:       2003-11-12 19:17:43

Deb wrote,

> Well, maybe.  BUT, in the 3 years I've been using procmail filters, I've
> never seen a single "TERM: Undefined variable" complaint in my logs
> prior to putting in the recipe described in my previous email.
>
> So, gosh, I wonder why?

Look in the procmailrc(5) man page for SHELLMETAS; there are certain
things that procmail can't do when it invokes another program, so when
it sees characters in $SHELLMETAS it calls a shell to run the command
string instead.  If your shell has a startup file that assumes being
interactive or being connected to a terminal, it will give you such an
error.

That particular recipe's action line was a pipe to a command string that
included semicolons and another pipe symbol (the first one at the far
left doesn't count), so procmail needed a shell to run it, and your
shell had a startup file that assumed it was interactive.

As you said, Deb, up until now you'd never attempted a recipe that
invoked a shell.